Chocolate Mousse Slice with Chocolate Cookie Crumble
It’s chocolate dessert plate up time! After that great chocolate mousse I had at Adora, I wanted to try make my own type of mousse. One of my mum’s favourite type of desserts is a chocolate mousse cake as well, and since I haven’t attempted to make one yet, I thought I might as well.
There are different ways to make mousse from using eggs, cream or gelatine. Since I’m not a big fan of using gelatine, I used the eggs and cream option. I also decided to make a brownie base to go with it because I thought it would be the perfect partner to the light airy mousse. Chocolate mousse has always been one of those desserts that I knew would be fun to decorate and plate. There are just a crazy number of ways to make it fancy. Don’t limit yourself. Go out and explore!
The only part of this dessert that I didn’t make from scratch was the cookie crumble. It’s probably not that hard to make it from scratch, but since I didn’t have a lot of time, I just went with a simple method to still have a crunchy decoration to top off the mousse.
Chocolate Mousse Slice with Chocolate Cookie Crumble
- 100g dark chocolate
- 60g unsalted butter
- 65g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 110g cup plain flour
- 15g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 200g dark chocolate
- 2 eggs, separated
- 250ml thickened cream, whipped
- 55g caster sugar
- 100g chocolate sweet biscuits
- To make the brownie base: Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm slab tin with baking paper.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Once melted through, remove from heat and add the sugar and egg and mix until combined. Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda, and fold mixture to incorporate. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make mousse: place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water. Once melted, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Whisk in the egg yolks, then fold in the whipped thickened cream.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks using an electric mixer. Gradually add the caster sugar, continuously beating until all the sugar is used and egg whites are glossy and form stiff peaks. Gently fold in a third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until incorporated, then fold in the remaining two thirds until completely incorporated.
- Pour mousse over brownie base in the prepared tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight until firm and set.
- To make cookie crumble: preheat the oven to 160C. Line and grease a cookie tray lined with baking paper. Roughly process biscuits until it forms large coarse crumbs (don’t process them until they become fine breadcrumbs!). Arrange over prepared tray and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until lightly browned and crunchy. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on tray.
- To assemble: cut mousse into squares, dust with cocoa powder then serve with cookie crumble.
- i-just-wanted-to-say likes this
- oozeenoo likes this
- wonderiscalling reblogged this from katcakes
- sydnersmouse reblogged this from wine-or-death
- malizii likes this
- hounslowhomestenant likes this
- starryeyed4life likes this
- khunzaoy likes this
- taco-gy reblogged this from katcakes
- s-tella-sognatore likes this
- atomicartist likes this
- hellofahouse likes this
- pougieleedoynter likes this
- forgotten-wish likes this
- 20minutestodeath reblogged this from katcakes
- ijhjd likes this
- heytherecutiepants reblogged this from katcakes and added:
- untouchablethots reblogged this from virtualbinges
- untouchablethots likes this
- virtualbinges reblogged this from i-m-sofood
- dtapia93 likes this
- casagranda-syd reblogged this from katcakes
- pancakeswag57 likes this
- fingerlickinggoodd reblogged this from katcakes
- callmecoco likes this
- wizzzkristina likes this
- high-on-doughnuts likes this
- high-on-doughnuts reblogged this from katcakes
- tianaisawessome likes this
- scankasaurus likes this
- ohsker likes this
- emulsification reblogged this from katcakes
- imemyandmine96 reblogged this from katcakes
- god-damn-based-god reblogged this from katcakes
- takolenore reblogged this from katcakes
- takolenore likes this
- ediblebliss reblogged this from katcakes
- lexievans15 reblogged this from katcakes
- lexievans15 likes this
- cupcakes-see-the-future likes this
- a-very-rumbly-tumbly reblogged this from katcakes
- fro4dayz likes this
- maguma-favorite reblogged this from katcakes
- jjsfoodphilosophy reblogged this from katcakes
- anansaeedi likes this
- uluckyyy likes this
- devourred reblogged this from gold-vanilla
- korinashaynegabayno likes this
- meowmeow-chowchow reblogged this from katcakes
- onlyexceptionbaby reblogged this from katcakes
Welcome To My Blog!
+ Sydney food blogger
+ Journalism student
+ Promotions and Publications Manager of the UNSW Baking Society
+ Editor of the online Baking Society magazine,The Sweet Escape.
|Australian Food Bloggers Ring|
|Site Ring from Bravenet|
This work by KatCakes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Australia License
Ask me anything