Mixed Berry and Apple Crumble Tart
For this recipe, I drew inspiration from Masterchef contestant, Kylie, who made a Strawberry and Apple Crumble Tart for the magazine cover challenge. I loved the look of her tart, and being winter, this was the type of dessert you could serve on a cold day, straight out of the oven with a dollop of cream and a drizzle of some sauce. You could experience a moist, sweet filling, crunchy topping and crumbly base.
I used a vanilla bean cream and berry sauce in place of the custard Kylie had made. I didn’t want to completely replicate what she did; after all, I was only inspired by the overall structure of the dessert. I didn’t want the juices from the cooked fruit filling to go to waste, so this is what I used as the base of my berry sauce. And of course, I can’t eat a crumble or tart without cream on the side… or ice cream for the kids! As for my fruits, I used frozen mixed berries because I was looking particularly for the juices and syrup and Royal Gala apples. Most apples are ideal for cooking, so depending on how soft you want your apples will depend on what type of apple you use for this tart.
My tart uses a round tart pan, but you could use a rectangular tart pan, or individual ones. I think I might need to invest in buying a rectangular tart pan because I think slicing them up is much easier and neater.
Mixed Berry and Apple Crumble Tart
- 160g plain flour
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 250g frozen mixed berries
- 2 royal gala apples, peeled and cored
- 100g caster sugar
- 50ml water
- 2 strips lemon rind
- 50g plain flour
- 25g rolled oats
- 25g shredded coconut
- 25g brown sugar
- 20g flaked almonds
- 30g melted unsalted butter
- strained syrup from cooked filling
- 60ml thickened cream
- To make the base: place flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and process in short bursts until it forms fine breadcrumbs. Gradually add enough water, continuously pulsing until pastry starts to comes together. Turn pastry out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a ball. Flatten to form a disc and wrap in plastic to refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Lightly grease a round tart pan with a removable base. Roll out pastry until large enough to fit into pan, then gently ease pastry into the pan. Trim excess pastry, then refrigerate for 10 minutes. Prick the base of the tart, line with baking paper and fill with pastry weights. Blind-bake pastry for 10 minutes, then remove paper and weights and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling: place berries, apple, sugar, water and lemon rind into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, lifting the lid and stirring occasionally to prevent from burning. Remove lid, put heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes to allow fruit to soften and syrup to thicken. Strain mixture to remove juice (don’t discard it! You’ll need it!) and allow filling to cool.
- To make the crumble: Preheat oven to 160 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add the melted butter and stir until mixture forms crumble. Scatter over baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until evenly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make the sauce: place excess juice from filling into a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until juice becomes thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and add thickened cream. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- To assemble: place filling inside the tart base, then top with crumble. Slice, and serve warm with cream and berry sauce.
- morrisonrosas94 likes this
- thesuitcasexoxo reblogged this from katcakes
- jazzyritmo likes this
- sukihana likes this
- emcola likes this
- brighterthansunshinee likes this
- espritmonte likes this
- polaroidpoolparty likes this
- niall-horan-ate-this likes this
- tataojr likes this
- beatrizsings reblogged this from katcakes
- beatrizsings likes this
- smallstupidstuff reblogged this from katcakes and added:
- smallstupidstuff likes this
- smokenwatch likes this
- alvarovalero12 reblogged this from katcakes
- emmymsquadd likes this
- bigworldandacurlygirl reblogged this from katcakes
- wakiki101 reblogged this from katcakes
- improvewise likes this
- bigworldandacurlygirl likes this
- leemontana reblogged this from katcakes
- flow562 likes this
- mentalchillssyndrome likes this
- yourqueen-viktoria likes this
- sweetcandyyy likes this
- smoothie6 likes this
- black-and-taupe likes this
- mellymelones likes this
- thatonekidyouknowyouknow likes this
- rockhardlarry likes this
- xxmystorymylifexx reblogged this from katcakes
- xxmystorymylifexx likes this
- ceejmcfly likes this
- sushibeats reblogged this from katcakes
- get-wreck3d likes this
- frozennoddles likes this
- anasouriyaniyali likes this
- perkstobeinga-lone reblogged this from katcakes
- perkstobeinga-lone likes this
- 20minutestodeath reblogged this from katcakes
- butt-sacks likes this
- demonicdaisy likes this
- free-but-flawed likes this
- lovequotes-books likes this
- bearchow reblogged this from majorsweettooth
- cloudyyun likes this
- situpandlaugh reblogged this from katcakes
- cook-then-eat reblogged this from katcakes
Welcome To My Blog!
+ Sydney food blogger
+ Journalism student
+ Promotions and Publications Manager of the UNSW Baking Society
+ Editor of the online Baking Society magazine,The Sweet Escape.
|Australian Food Bloggers Ring|
|Site Ring from Bravenet|
This work by KatCakes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Australia License
Ask me anything