Ube, or purple yam as the English term it’s known, is a common ingredient used in my culture. Since I’m still on my macaron frenzy, my parents suggested I try making Ube Macarons, and they actually turned out well. I think I just need to invest in professional grade food colours so the shell turns out the right colour purple. I fiddled around with making the filling, and wasn’t sure if it was going to turn out right, but it did. You don’t want to make the filling too sweet, since the macaron shell itself is already sweet enough.
Ube Creme (Purple Yam Creme)
- 3/4 Cup grated frozen Ube/ purple yam (Ube paste works well too)
- 1/3 Cup caster sugar
- 1/2 Cup thickened cream
- Place ube and caster sugar in a stainless steel bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water. Whisk together until sugar is melted and ube thins slightly.
- Add thickened cream and stir to combine. Pour mixture into a sieve over a medium sized bowl, and scrape to remove lumps. Cover bowl with cling film and place in refrigerator to cool.
- Once cool, beat mixture with a hand held electric beater until mixture becomes light, fluffly and produces a spreadable icing texture. Place in a piping bag and pipe on macarons. Sandwich macarons together.
- sam-and-eggs likes this
- disgruntled-delirium likes this
- t0tto reblogged this from katcakes
- jasminexflower reblogged this from katcakes
- -manda likes this
- theamazonmermaid likes this
- elysauce likes this
- cyrilanne likes this
- fionapyho likes this
- littlepiecesofjo reblogged this from katcakes
- littlepiecesofjo likes this
- onelaststraw reblogged this from katcakes
- jairathebest said: yuuuum, ube is my favourite !
- jairathebest likes this
- katcakes posted this
Welcome To My Blog!
+ Sydney food blogger
+ Journalism student
+ Promotions and Publications Manager of the UNSW Baking Society
+ Editor of the online Baking Society magazine,The Sweet Escape.
|Australian Food Bloggers Ring|
|Site Ring from Bravenet|
This work by KatCakes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Australia License
Ask me anything